Let’s be real: cloth diapers can be a challenge. They’re not always the easiest to use, and sometimes they’ll get stained before their first use (and sometimes way past that). However, if you’ve decided to go with cloth diapering for your little one, then we know that you’re committed to making it work out.
And we have good news! Cloth diapers are actually pretty easy to clean, you just have to follow some simple rules of thumb that will keep them looking new and fresh for as long as possible.
Do Poop Stains Come Out in Wash?
One of the biggest concerns parents who cloth diapers have is whether or not poop stains will come out in the wash. Fortunately, poop stains are rarely a problem with cloth diapers! Here’s how to remove them from your diapers and prevent them from coming back.
If you’ve got a particularly stubborn stain on your cloth diaper, try one of these methods:
- Soak your diaper in hot water with 1/2 cup white vinegar for an hour before washing it (you can also add baking soda).
- Rub Vanish Oxy Action Gel directly onto the stain and let sit for 15 minutes before washing as normal.
Common Stains in Cloth Diapers
So, you’ve decided to use cloth diapers for your little one. That’s great But there are a few things to know about stains in the process.
Stains are a normal part of cloth diapering, but they can be prevented and removed with the right care.
One common stain that everyone seems to deal with is poop stains. If your baby has an issue with pooping, and let’s face it, they all do at some point, you’re going to need a good stain remover on hand so that you don’t have to worry about permanent staining on their clothes or diapers (or yours!).
There are many possible causes for poop stains in cloth diapers: different types of food (or formula) in babies’ diets, breastmilk with excess iron or other minerals, and even body oils from sweat can cause staining if not washed away properly before being absorbed by the diaper fabric itself.
How to Remove Poop from Cloth Diapers
- Use a diaper sprayer. This is probably the easiest way to get poop stains out of cloth diapers, but it’s not always possible. If you have a diaper sprayer, use it. It will make your life so much easier when you’re dealing with poopy diapers.
- Wash the diaper in the washing machine. The best way to remove poop stains from cloth diapers is by washing them in the washing machine in warm or hot water with detergent and bleach if necessary (no fabric softener.). You may need to repeat this step if there are still visible traces of poop on your cloth diaper after one wash cycle; however, most parents find that after one cycle their stained diapers come out clean and ready for use again.
Ways to Prevent Cloth Diapers from Staining
- Use Liners
- Diaper Sprayer
- Spray off Poop with a Diaper Sprayer Before Putting the Diaper in the Wash or Dryer (I recommend doing this after every diaper change, but if you only want to do it for poopy diapers, that is fine too)
We hope you feel more confident about how to keep your cloth diapers clean. Cloth diapers have come a long way, they’re not just for babies anymore. They can be used by older children and adults, too.
And if you’re still feeling overwhelmed by the idea of using cloth diapering or washing them yourself, remember that there are plenty of resources available online to help you out.