Baby showers are all about the mom-to-be and her new little bundle of joy, so it’s only right the mama should be the one wearing white. But what should you wear if you’re not expecting?
Can I put on white for a baby shower? Yes, you can wear white to a baby shower. White is classic and timeless as well as chic. If you don’t want to wear all white, you could pair your white dress with a colored accessory like a clutch bag, scarf, or shoes.
- How Much to Spend on Baby Shower Gift
- How Many People to Invite to Baby Shower
- How Long Do Baby Showers Last
Is There a Dress Code for Baby Shower?
The dress code for a baby shower can vary widely depending on the type of party you are throwing. Baby showers held at a restaurant or formal event space will usually require a bit more formal attire than a backyard barbecue or family-only shower.
If you’re not sure what to expect, it’s best to err on the side of caution and dress up slightly. A skirt-and-blouse combo or a nice dress is a safe bet.
Can You Wear White to a Baby Shower
It’s not just a myth — white is a perfectly fine color to wear at a baby shower. It’s safe to go with white, cream, or any neutral shade. The color white has long been associated with purity, new beginnings, and light.
As the mom-to-be awaits her little bundle of joy, she can be surrounded by friends and family in the refreshing shade of white.
The color white is also appropriate if the event is held in the evening. The only time it could be deemed inappropriate is when the party includes a formal celebration or black-tie event.
Can You Wear Black to a Baby Shower as a Guest
Wearing the black color of mourning to an occasion celebrates life and is considered inappropriate. A baby shower is a happy occasion, so it makes sense that you’d want to wear something bright and cheery.
However, if you style your outfit right and incorporate some colorful accessories, you can wear black without looking harsh or rude. For example, try adding sunglasses, bright jewelry, or shoes with your black outfit to offset the more serious connotations of the color.
Can You Wear Jeans to a Baby Shower
Jeans are always good outfits to wear to a baby shower as a guest. They’re comfortable and can really be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. As far as what kind of blouse to wear, you really can’t go wrong with anything neutral like black, white, or gray.
Add a scarf and a colorful necklace, some heels, or fun flats, keep your accessories simple and clean, and you should feel great going to your friend’s baby shower.
What to Wear to a Baby Shower as a Guest in Spring
When dressing for a baby shower, you’re going to want to look cute, but also be comfortable.
A flowy maxi or MIDI skirt is the perfect choice for a baby shower in the springtime. Its relaxed, romantic feel fits with the season, and it’s so easy to style with other pieces. Add a SWEATER to complete the look.
What to Wear to a Baby Shower as a Guest in Summer
A loose, breathable dress works well for a summer baby shower. A comfortable pair of sandals or flip-flops are great in warmer weather. The goal is to dress comfortably, but still look nice for the occasion.
Tips for What Do You Wear to a Baby Shower as a Guest?
- If the invitation says something like “Come as you are,” casual wear is probably fine. If it doesn’t say that and you’re still not sure, call the host or hostess to clarify.
- If it is a summer baby shower, a nice outfit made of cotton or linen could be appropriate for the daytime. A long maxi skirt with a tank top or sleeveless blouse could work well for an afternoon event at someone’s home.
- A dressy summer sundress would be a lovely choice for a daytime shower held in the evening because it will still be warm but you can dress it up with accessories and shoes to make it more festive.
- An invitation to an evening shower suggests that something a bit more special is called for and if the event is at a restaurant or hotel, cocktail attire is most likely appropriate if not specified on the invitation. (However, very formal weddings also often include baby showers so check with the host.)
- Something like a little black dress would be ideal for an evening baby shower but if that’s not your style, there are many other cocktail dresses in all colors and styles available nowadays.
Can you dress in pink or blue for a baby shower?
Pink and blue are perfectly acceptable colors to wear to a baby shower. It’s not uncommon for guests to wear both colors, as well, to add variety to the photos you take at the shower. Gifts are often pink or blue as well, but be sure not to wrap your present in pink if it’s a girl or blue if it’s a boy – that would spoil the surprise.
What to wear to a baby shower without a dress?
There are a ton of dress options for baby showers but what if you’re not into dresses? Pants and shorts are acceptable options for a baby shower, whether they’re paired with a blouse or top in classic silhouettes.
To give your outfit a feminine feel, incorporate lace or flowers into your look by gifting yourself some cute accessories such as patterned socks and floral jewelry.
Can put on jeans to a baby shower as a guest?
As a guest, it is vital that you dress appropriately at a baby shower. Jeans can be worn to a baby shower. It is always best to check with the hostess before dressing for a baby shower, but in most cases, guests are welcome to wear jeans.
Denim is an everyday staple that can be dressed up or down. All you need are a few key accessories and pieces to see you through.